Saturday, May 16, 2009

Gourmet's last dance? nah...




Today I decided to start a blog for the sole reason that I have been a blog-stalker long enough that I would like to add another raw food community. It is time for my vampiric information sucking habits to shift and let the energy flow back into the vast unknown of the cyberworld. That's what the raw peace lifestyle is about...learning to have enough to give back!

I just checked out Douglas Graham's 80/10/10 book at the library, so I'm feeling like gourmet raw already made its brief introduction to my life and is about to say farewell...but not completely!!

It feels appropriate that I am starting this blog with a recipe for an alfredo-pesto-ravioli-pasta thing that I made for my Rob this evening. We just got an order of really raw cashews in from nutsonline.com and I was SO EXCITED that I had to use some cashews to make a creamy alfredo sauce. I used to eat alfredo pasta at the Olive Garden with my track team the night before the State meet - I can't believe our coaches let us -even encouraged us- to eat such fatty, mucus-inducing foods the night before our most important race of the year! I made up this version myself, based on what we had around. I even made some apple-beet juice to look like wine! I actually think the juice was my favorite part.


Alfredo Pasta and Beet Ravioli's
Sauce:
1 cup soaked and well-rinsed cashews
1/2 small avocado
1 green onion
1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic
1 tsp dill
1/4 tsp cayenne
3/4 cup rejuvulac
salt, if you like

Pasta:
4 small zucchinis or more...more is probably better
1 tomato
1 beet
2 cups spinach
1 bunch basil

1. Spiralize the zucchinis and set aside. Cut the beet into rounds as thin as you can. I think the concentric circles are pretty.
2. Blend ingredients of the alfredo sauce. It should be fairly creamy, not at all runny. Remove half the sauce and mix into the zucchini noodles. Put a dollop of cream on half of the beet slices.
3. Remove a couple basil leaves for decoration and set aside. Blend the remainder of the alfredo sauce with the spinach and basil. If your spinach is nice you can set some aside and chop it really small to mix in with pasta. My spinach was discounted damaged produce and was not nice.
4. Spoon pesto on top of pasta and a little on the beet rounds. Careful not to get too much or it will squish out of the beet sammiches and make a mess. Top pasta with diced tomato and basil leaves.

YUMM-O




No comments:

Post a Comment