Saturday, June 6, 2009

What's in Your Fridge?

I'll tell you what's in ours...Strawberries!


Summer is almost here, although it's still raining in typical Oregon-fashion. Which means that the first fruit of the year is finally hitting the Saturday Market. Strawberries!! Hooray!

As a kid, I could never get enough strawberries. Mom would buy two pints of strawberries at the Growers Market each week and we three kids would carefully divide them up between a few lunchtimes. Now that I'm a big kid, I went to the market and bought a whole box just for me. heh-heh.

I also found a couple stalks of rhubarb on the distressed shelf of my co-op. So its strawberry rhubarb pie for this week! I'm still working on the recipe, as it didn't come out quite as I had hoped. Here's a pic of the first go around:


What didn't work was that I added an orange to the filling, which made it too watery. The filling also wasn't quite sweet enough to balance a crust of plain sprouted buckwheat. I'm thinking about making this again tomorrow and using a rhubarb compote recipe that has been really delicious in the past. This made a terrific breakfast, but as a late night sugar-splurge it was a bit of a disappointment.


Here's what else has been uncooking in my kitchen:

Mango and tomato stuffed Red Bell Peppers

Zucchini Noodles with Avocado











On another note, my computer has made its peace with this world and left us. Rob has kindly been letting me use his until I can find a new one. With the onset of final papers and term projects, its been a little hard finding the computer time to put up a post. So until the universe allows me to meet with a computer of my own, I'll keep posting from Rob's.


No comments:

Post a Comment